It is the function of the Assessor to administer an accurate, equitable and timely assessment of all real property in St. Clair County. The Supervisor of Assessments DOES NOT calculate taxes, determine tax rates or collect taxes. The Assessors focus is on value, not taxes. This mandated function includes but is not limited to the following:
- Monitor and comply with the Illinois State Statutes and the Illinois Department of Revenue procedures.
- Apply qualified exemptions.
- Timely certification of the completed assessment roll to the Board of Review to facilitate timely tax calculation and billing as required by statue.
- Defend decisions when an appeal is made to the Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board.
- Real property in St. Clair County is assessed on a quadrennial basis. The assessments are alternated among 22 townships in the County.