When is a building permit is required?
A building permit is not required for ordinary repairs to structures.
Such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition
or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or
load bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of
egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress
requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration
of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer,
drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping,
electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or
Who can apply for building permit?
Application for a permit shall be made by the owner or lessee of the
building or structure, or agent of either, or by the registered design
professional employed in connection with the proposed work.
What is required to apply for building permit?
- Property must have an assigned address from the 9-1-1 Coordinating
Office. The 9-1-1 Coordinating Office is located at 101 First Street in
Belleville. The phone number is (618) 277-7316.
- All contracts for deed must be recorded in the Recorder of Deeds Office.
- If building permit is for a commercial/industrial structure, one
(1) set of plans and specifications designed by the architect that is
licensed and registered in the State of Illinois are required. The seal
must appear on all sheets of the plans and specifications.
- Copy of sales contract or title if modular/manufactured home.
- Flood Elevation Certificate (if applicable).
- Application For Certificate of Zoning Compliance form to be completed, including the $30 fee for this form.
- Builder's Statement of Understanding, Acceptance and Agreement form to be completed.
- Applicable Building Permit Fees
- Stormwater Management and Erosion Control Permit Fee equal to 34% of the Building Permit Fee if required.
What is the time limitation of a building Permit?
A permit for any proposed work shall be invalid within 12 months after
the date it is issued. The code official may grant one extension period
not to exceed 180 days from the date of renewal.
What type of payment is required?
Cash or Check payable to: St. Clair County Treasurer