When is a building permit is required?
A building permit is not required for ordinary repairs to structures. Such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.
Who can apply for building permit?
Application for a permit shall be made by the owner or lessee of the building or structure, or agent of either, or by the registered design professional employed in connection with the proposed work.
What is required to apply for building permit?
- All ground disturbing activities in the unincorporated area of St. Clair County must first file a Sedimentation and Erosion Control Plan with the St. Clair County Soil and Water Conservation District before a building permit will be issued.
- Property must have an assigned address from the 9-1-1 Coordinating Office. The 9-1-1 Coordinating Office is located at 101 First Street in Belleville. The phone number is (618) 277-7316.
- All contracts for deed must be recorded in the Recorder of Deeds Office.
- If building permit is for a commercial/industrial structure, one (1) set of plans and specifications designed by the architect that is licensed and registered in the State of Illinois are required. The seal must appear on all sheets of the plans and specifications.
- Copy of sales contract or title if modular/manufactured home.
- Flood Elevation Certificate (if applicable).
- Application For Certificate of Zoning Compliance form to be completed, including the $30 fee for this form.
- Builder's Statement of Understanding, Acceptance and Agreement form to be completed.
- Applicable Building Permit Fees
- Stormwater Management and Erosion Control Permit Fee equal to 34% of the Building Permit Fee if required.
What is the time limitation of a building Permit?
A permit for any proposed work shall be invalid within 12 months after the date it is issued. The code official may grant one extension period not to exceed 180 days from the date of renewal.
What type of payment is required?
Cash or Check payable to: St. Clair County Treasurer
Building Permit Fees
Residential Construction (Subject to additional fees)
$500 Single Family Residence 2,500 sq ft and under
$700 Single Family Residence 2,501 sq ft and larger
$150 Modular Home/manufactured Home
$300 Modular Home over/Basement
$220 Residential Remodel $10,000 cost
$250 Residential Remodel $10,001 - $50,000 cost
$300 Residential Remodel $50,000 cost
$200 Residential Additions $50,000 cost and under
$300 Residential Additions $50,000 cost and over
$700 Multi-Family Residence 4 units and under
$175 Addition Units (Per)
$30 Application for Zoning Compliance
$100 Demolition Permit
Renewal Permits will be charged at ½ the cost of the original building permit
* Effective February 2020
$75.00 Plan Review Fee - Due at the time of drop off
Residential Accessory Construction (Subject to additional fees)
$125 Portable Sheds 201 sq ft and over
$175 Garages/Pole Buildings
$175 Garages/Pole Buildings Additions
$200 Swimming Pool In Ground
$125 Swimming Pool Above Ground
Exempt Structures For Agricultural Use
Exempt Public School Structures
Exempt Township Structures
Commercial and Industrial Construction fees schedule can be found under Documents & Forms Building Regulations Chapter 7 Section 7-1-47.
* Effective February 2020 ALL Commerical Plan review will have a fee of $100.00 due at the time of drop off.
Building Inspection Guidelines
- Property shall be marked with address.
- Building permit shall be posted.
- Call 24 hours prior to needing an inspection. Have a permit number; construction address and owner's name available.
- All required inspections are covered under building permit.
- Upon failing an inspection a $75 re-inspection fee must be paid prior to next inspection.
Footing Inspection: Upon completion of the footing and foundation excavation, but prior to pouring any concrete.
Underground Plumbing Inspection: Upon completion of underground plumbing, but prior to covering.
Rough-In Plumbing Inspection: Upon completion of rough-in plumbing but prior to insulation or covering.
Rough-In Electrical Inspection: Upon completion or rough-in electric, but prior to insulation or covering.
Electrical Service Inspection: Upon completion or permanent service.
Framing Inspection: Prior to insulation and the covering of structural members.
Final Electrical Inspection: Following completion but prior to occupancy.
Final Plumbing Inspection: Following completion but prior to occupancy.
Final Building Inspection: Following completion but prior to occupancy.
The following cites and villages have a contract with St. Clair County to provide Building Inspections: