All 2023 renewable exemptions were mailed out on 12/30/2022. The Board of Review is now responsible for processing the Senior Citizens Assessment Freeze and the Persons with Disabilities exemptions and the Assessor’s office is responsible for processing the Veteran with Disabilities exemption.  The Assessor’s office can be reached at 618-825-2704 if you have a question pertaining to the Veteran with Disabilities exemption.  Please allow two weeks before requesting a new form be mailed out to you.

Board of Review

With approximately 150,000 very diverse parcels of land throughout St. Clair County, there is a chance that property owners may find it necessary to appeal the property tax assessment (value).

The St. Clair County Board of Review consists of three elected members who have the power to hear and decide taxpayer complaints on the value or exempt status of property. That includes residential, commercial, industrial and condominium property as well as vacant land.

Board of Review Contact Numbers:
 Andrea Johnson - Chief Deputy 277-6600 ext. 2491
Taylor Agne - Senior Freeze inquiries 277-6600 ext.2493
Board of Review 277-6600 ext. 2489, 2493, or 2476

If you feel that the assessed value of your property is out of line in comparison with similar properties in your neighborhood, you are encouraged to inquire. The first step is an informal discussion and review with a representative in the County Assessor’s office. While most cases are resolved at this level, you may also file an appeal to request a hearing with the Board of Review.

Once you have formally filed an appeal with the Board of Review, you will be notified in writing of your scheduled appointment. At that time, you will be given the opportunity to appear before the Board to protest you assessment and present evidence.

Types of Evidence
You are required to bring proper documentation/evidence to support your request for a reduction. The following items can be presented as evidence:
  1. An exterior picture of your home or business and pictures of at least three (3) similar properties (in you neighborhood) that are comparable to yours. 
  2. A copy of your Property Record Card and your comparable PRCs indicating that another assessment is lower than yours. (Copies of the Property Record Cards can be obtained from the Assessor’s office) or
  3. A copy of a recent appraisal report, sales contract, settlement statement or deed if available.

(If you need assistance with gathering evidence, please visit the Assessor’s office prior to your scheduled hearing date).

The Board of Review will hear your case, review your evidence, and rule on your appeal. You will be notified in writing of the decision.

Monday 1/30


Labor Management Committee

  • County Building
    Conf. Rm. B-564
  • 5:00 PM

Animal Services Committee

  • County Building
    Conf. Rm. B-564
  • 5:30 PM

Transportation Committee

  • County Building
    Conf. Rm. B-564
  • 6:00 PM

Public Safety Committee

  • County Building
    Conf. Rm. B-564
  • 6:30 PM